The Woes of Dorm Life

/
5 Comments
Dorm life can be pretty beneficial, especially for a first-year student. Housekeeping cleans the bathroom for you and takes out the trash, you're (mostly) walking distance from class and from cool hangout spaces, you're always informed on events happening around campus and if anything breaks all you have to do is put in a work order and maintenance handles it for you.

On the other hand, dorm life can be pretty crappy. I was gung-ho about living on campus my first year. I was excited to get a roommate and become best friends with her and develop a huge social network of friends.

Well, turns out I don't like dorm life. At. All.

My roommate was super sweet, but the room made her sick! (We live in an older dorm and the ventilation system isn't the best.) So she moved out after first semester. I was alright with that. I wasn't mad or anything and I get a room to myself. Two desks, two closets, two beds pushed together to make a giant one. Heaven.

But when you go to a college where none of your high school friends went, you have to make new friends. And I struggled with that. I stayed cooped up in my room on the computer.

I have since made awesome friends, including some in the next dorm over who I will be living with next year and some from an awesome club I'm in.

Dorm life is still crappy.

The shower is TINY! The water pressure is terrible and you almost always get burned by the water.

The walls are paper thin and I can hear everything anyone around me says or does (very clearly, mind you), including those next to me and above me.

It's difficult to make your own food because (in our case) there aren't lounges on every floor.

The dump truck! Oh GOD, don't get me started on the dump truck! Every morning around 3-4 AM, the dump truck comes to collect the trash from our dorm dumpster. 4 AM! BEEP BEEEP BEEEEEP DUSIJLVBI CJUICHUI (That's the sound of the extremely LOUD clanging it makes as the dumpster hits the truck). I live on the side of the dorm where the dumpster is so I'm extremely lucky to hear that every single morning.....

The list goes on.

If you're not yet in college, make sure you weigh out the pros and cons of living in a dorm before you decide to do so.

I'll be living on campus for another long year, but that's only because I'm waiting for my boyfriend to finish school before I get an apartment.

Until then, I'll make do with what I've got, but next year, I'm definitely not living in the dorm I live in now!





You may also like

5 comments :

  1. This is coming in two parts.
    PT. 1: A Friendly Disagreement
    If you're going to college you should live in the dorms for at least a year or so. You miss out on a lot when you're living off campus in an apartment-- especially if you're going to a smaller school. Everything, EVERYTHING happens on campus because that's where the majority of the people (and so the majority of the fun things) are.

    Let's just look at facts: Apartments cost a lot of money, even if they're horrible little holes in the wall and moreso if they are nice and habitable. If you live in an apartment you have to do everything that a normal homeowner does, except maybe mow the lawn. You have to cook your food (and you're living on a budget now, so remember that means cheaper, crappier food than you would get in the cafeteria on your meal plan... yeah, ramen noodles every night kind of life unless your parents want to give you a ton of money every month for good food), you have to clean EVERYTHING (not just your room now, also the bathroom-- scrubbing toilets and tubs, the kitchen (scrubbing counters, mopping floors, cleaning dishes), and the living room (where the messes may not always be yours (yeah, you'll have a roommate/significant other/apartment mate). Say hello to either public transportation, taxi rides, or paying for a car (and gas prices, my friends, they do really suck right now and they are not going to go down much more). Paying for your insurance, paying for gas, paying the car payment, paying parking tickets (they happen), paying for an on-campus space because you won't live there all the time (depending on your apartment complex, this might be the second parking pass you will need to buy).

    The fact of the matter is, many people have better dorm experiences than this lovely blogger has shared. Most people make good friends with their hallmates, their suitemates, the people in their classes, people who they run into in the dining hall, etc. during their first few days of freshman year.
    This brings me to my second rant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pt. 2: A Different Freshman Year Experience

    I was nowhere near as popular and social as Kaly was in high school (especially senior year... dang girl, how did you do that). I have loved living in a dorm. At my school (which is quite small, and really has its benefits due to the size) I can wake up with five minutes until class, throw on clothes, and be there before lecture starts. I can get food in the Pit (our cafeteria) or in our Student Union with less than a five minute walk. I love this school, and I love being a dorm kid... now, this might change in a few years, but for freshman year having the classic dorm experience is crucial. It builds character and a lot of fond memories (in about 99% of cases... Kaly's is unusual, really).

    When you've decided where you want to go to college (or you are deciding) take the dorms into account. This is your home for a year, it is important. Live on a hall-style (no suites) if you can. It's actually awesome and sharing a bathroom is nothing-- they're cleaned from top-to-bottom every day by the cleaning staff. Visit dorm rooms in a few dorms, rank them by room size, amenities, and closeness to classes. Take note of which sides of the building are close to loading docks-- STAY AWAY!

    When you get to school, make friends! It's like Kindergarten, people. You are in the same boat as everyone else-- you're all looking for new friendships, looking for a friendly face, trying not to be awkward in introductions, blah, blah, blah. Meet your hall/suite mates, introduce yourself to people in the cafeteria during orientation (they're only freshmen, remember that), and meet people in your classes. Get involved in clubs, make more friends! It's a beautiful thing, the social life in college. Take advantage of it.

    One last thing- don't think you need to grow up fast because you're a college student. You're between 18 and 22 years old at the most. Take a step back. These are your last years of blissful freedom (not of childhood, those are over) and when they are gone they are gone forever. If you don't take advantage of the college experience now you will never get a chance to, and someday when you're older (maybe a newlywed, maybe a parent, perhaps when you're 55) you'll regret that you didn't take the opportunity to live the real college life.

    It's a blast. Don't miss it.

    Here's wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erinn, you make good points. I feel like every freshman SHOULD live on campus, BUT it's not always a glorious experience.

    Also, here, it's definitely cheaper to get an apartment than pay $5000 a semester for housing. Not sure how that works out at your school. :P

    BUT like I said, there are really good things about living on campus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is cheaper to have an apartment on campus, which I will probably do my senior year (our Sorority halls are in the apartments), but ONLY if you decide to get the lowest meal plan and, this comes directly from a sister, eat on less than $20 a week... which means you eat salad and/or pasta every night.

    Maybe I'm just high-maintenance, but I prefer to eat actual food. Also, being a scholarship student, it is cheaper for me to live on campus because it's paid for. I'd rather live on campus for all four years (which I will be doing) and have all of my necessary living expenses paid for than live off campus in "my own place" and have to pay for everything. I can't support the classic WFU workload and a 20-hours-a-week job just so I can afford to live in an apartment anyway.

    Now, plenty of people live off campus their Junior year here... and plenty of them come back to campus their senior year too. I guess it depends on the person, but the on-campus life is worth sticking around.

    I'm living above and to the side of a Fraternity lounge next semester, so we'll see if I become a bit more cynical of dorm-life. Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not necessarily a scholarship student but my school is covered by financial aid. When I live off campus, I will receive a refund of the money that I didn't use for housing and a meal plan (which will be about $6000), which I will then use to pay for an apartment (which will be MUCH cheaper).

      That's how it works out for me. :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.