58 Alpha Clear

/
0 Comments
Photos taken by Jennifer Merems.
It is my last day in Arizona and I thought I would reflect upon my summer research experience.

I learned a lot about myself and what I want in a job after I graduate. I learned that field work is really difficult when you're doing it for ten days in a row. But I know that I want to work with wildlife and I don't see myself doing anything else (except maybe working with dogs) so it's important that I experienced this summer so that I can find a job that will suit me.

I really missed my family and my boyfriend. It was difficult being away from them for ten weeks. 

I was able to mostly overcome my fear of port-o-potties (as long as it's daylight), which is quite an accomplishment.

I also learned a lot of technical skills, including small mammal trapping and handling, biangulation, orienteering, and how to use software for data analysis.

I was also able to work on an independent research project (though I only got about three days to work on it. Paperwork requirements for working with animals can be finnicky. Another thing I learned.) 

Here's some pictures!
Marking a new capture with ear tags.
Sexing the chipmunk and checking the reproduction status.
Side project
Working on the side project.  
Lots of data entry!
I would like to issue a huge thank you to the following people:
  • My parents, Tami and Neal, my sisters, Aly and Megan, and my boyfriend, Blane, for supporting me and always being there to listen to me when I needed it most.
  • My cousin Nishelle for helping me take risks and encouraging me to accept the research position in the first place.
  • Leigh Ann Walker, Maysen and Olenma Alvarez for their monetary support, which enabled me to buy groceries and pay for housing.
  • Paul, Katrina, and Jen Merems for so kindly allowing me to stay in their home for the majority of my time in Tucson and for being an amazing host family.
  • Jen, Pearl and Michael for being my friends
  • Allyssa Kilanowski for allowing me to be a part of her research and for mentoring me during my first ever independent research project.
My host family! Jen, Killer, Me, Paul, Foxy, Katrina, and Fatty.
Not pictured, Zena, because she and Fatty don't get along. :(
Zena!
And so as I would sign off of my radio at the end of a call, I will sign off of my summer research experience in Arizona. 58 Alpha clear.




You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.