A Reflection of My Freshman Year

/
0 Comments
Today in the mail, I received a note from myself that I made with one of my advisors at the beginning of the year. It read:

Dear self,

By this time, the end of the year is almost here. By this point, I hope you have achieved a few goals:
  • Join an organization/club (Disney Movie Club, LGBT, CSLEPS)
  • Plan/start to plan studying abroad & paying for it
  • Volunteer at various organizations/events
  • Make high grades in all classes
  • Make new friends and eat food other than Taco Bell.
Basically, by this point, you should be involved. Do things that interest you and never stop asking questions! <3

Love, 
yourself-Kaly
9/13/11

Well, I'd like to think I met most of these goals! Let's break it down!
  • Join an organization/club (Disney Movie Club, LGBT, CSLEPS)
I joined Leadership in Action and the Chancellor's First Year Student Leadership Program (which were both application-based). I also joined Roots and Shoots.
  • Plan/start to plan studying abroad & paying for it
Not so much. At this point, I was still planning to graduate in 8 semesters. Later in the year, I figured that based on my two minors, I probably would take an extra semester to graduate, so that's where all of my money saving has gone to. I still want to study abroad, but I'll have to see about that.
  • Volunteer at various organizations/events
As a member of Big Brothers Big Sisters, I am technically volunteering an hour a week when I see my Little. In addition, I volunteered at the lake cleaning with Roots and Shoots, at Conservators' Center for an internship opportunity, and volunteered at Raleigh Rescue Mission with a group from my Nonprofits class.
  • Make high grades in all classes
Sorta. First semester, I made only one C and that was a C- in Chemistry. I don't have all of my grades from this semester, but I made an A in Organic Lab, an A- in English and a B in Biology. I consider those  good grades. A's and B's.
Update: I actually made all A's and B's in my second semester, which brought my GPA up a little. Definitely happy about that one! 
  • Make new friends and eat food other than Taco Bell.
Yes! I made lots of new friends! I made friends through LIA, Roots and Shoots and through other friends. While I did eat a lot of Taco Bell over the year, I had my fair share of cereal from the dining hall and also burgers from Wolves Den.

Overall, I enjoyed my freshman year. I made friends and got involved. I even met the Chancellor! Not many freshmen can say that!





You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.