What I Buy at Costco for a Family of Two

/
0 Comments
Our family of two consists of myself and my boyfriend. He's a mechanic and he works long days, usually 10-11 hours, so he eats a lot. It's easy for someone to go into Costco and walk out with a $200 bill. I did not want that to be me. I spend $200-$250 a month on groceries for the two of us.

If you aren't sure whether a Costco or some other wholesale membership club is right for you, see if you know anyone who already has a membership. If so, tag along with them one day and look at items you typically buy. See the price per ounce or price per serving and compare that to where you usually shop.

The following things are what I buy at Costco for a family of two:
  • Individual bags of chips
    • 54 for $11, that's a great deal for us and will last us the whole month if not more. If you're the type of family that can buy a big bag of chips and portion them into individual bags, that tends to be a bigger bang for your buck. However, I can't do that because I end up sitting down and eating the entire bag as a "snack".
  • Goldfish
    • In a regular grocery store, you will spend about $2, if not more, for one of the small bags of goldfish. At Costco, you can get a box with three large bags for about $9. 
  • Sodas
    • While I realize it's not so great for me, I love soda. And soda can get expensive. If Food Lion isn't having a sale where you can get 4 12-packs for $11, then I can wind up spending $5-6 per 12-pack. Costco has 30-packs for about $7 to $8. 
  • Laughing Cow or Babybel Cheeses
    • These things are expensive if you buy them at a regular store. I got a four pack of laughing cow (each pack with 8 wedges) for $9.29. These are great for afternoon snacks or as part of lunch.
  • Lance Crackers
    • My boyfriend and I love those little packs of orange peanut butter crackers. You can get a 40 pack for $6.30.
  • Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese
    • Some people may call me out for this, but I don't like Kraft macaroni in the blue box. I prefer Velveeta. These are typically $2 each in the regular store and can get up to $2.50. At Costco, you can get 5 boxes for $9.50, which brings the price down to $1.90. Not a huge savings but when you add it up to the other savings, it makes a difference in the long run!
  • Vitamins
    • I got One-A-Day men's for my boyfriend (300 count) and VitaFusion gummies for myself (220 count) at $25 for both. 
This isn't much, and will the savings pay off the $55 investment I made to purchase the membership? Maybe not. But I've still got 11 more months to save money, including the month of December. The great thing about Costco is that they have a huge variety of items and I think it'll be a great place to get Christmas gifts and to stock up on food for holiday parties. 

Do you have a wholesale club membership? If so, what do you buy there? If not, have you ever considered it? 


You may also like

No comments :

Powered by Blogger.